[FreeNX-kNX] Release: FreeNX 0.7.3 "Priscilla One Year Edition"

Richard Cowan rmc001 at jefferson.edu
Tue Jan 4 13:33:56 UTC 2011

Hello Fabian:

I read the post on this page:

    http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/freenx-knx/2008-August/007324.html

I believe I have this precise problem:

    "- I found a very old patch (2005), which enables connection from 32
    bit to 24 bit and vice-versa.

    Ooops, I forgot that one, I think ..."

I am using ubuntu 10.10, and have installed the FreeNX server available
in the repos:

    0.7.3.git100327.e224628-0~ppa7~lucid (freenx-server)

On my ubuntu workstation, I have also installed the client from NoMachine:

    NX-Client for Linux, Version 3.4.0-5

This arrangement works fine to launch a nice local display session, with
good performance and responsiveness. However, what I want is to be able
to connect to the FreeNX server from my Windows XP and Windows 7
workstations. The client I have installed on those is:

    NX-Client for Windows, Version 3.3.0-6

I think the problem is, my Windows displays are 32-bit, whereas the
sessions created by the NX-client on both Linux and Windows are 24-bit?

 From the Windows client, I am unable to resume a disconnected session
that I started locally using the Linux client. The option to Resume is
greyed out and disabled in the session administrator. The only option
available is to Terminate the session, and start a new one. When I start
the new session, the performance is much worse than when I use the Linux
client on ubuntu. Screen re-drawings and mouse/keyboard responsiveness
is degraded. In addition, the Windows-client initiated sessions have
display anomalies, such as nearly transparent gdm-window borders,
missing right-corner window controls like minimize, maximize, and close,
etc. It makes it difficult to work in this environment because I have to
guess at where the locations are for windows borders to move or resize
windows.

I used FreeNX without any problems just the way I wanted to when I was
using Ubuntu 9.04 workstation. I didn't have to do anything special, or
change any defaults for clients/displays on either Linux or Windows. I
thought perhaps the patch you mentioned above would fix these issues,
but I have been unable to find it anywhere. Your posting seems to be the
only one that mentions it, in any search engine i have tried.

Can you help me to fix these cross-platform problems?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

--
Richard Cowan
e-mail: richard.cowan at jefferson.edu
http://pulse.jefferson.edu