[FreeNX-kNX] NX 4.0 - available on FreeNX?

Veit Wahlich cru.lists at zodia.de
Thu Sep 2 13:01:41 UTC 2010

Am Donnerstag, den 02.09.2010, 08:10 +0100 schrieb Paul Davison:
> When NX4.0 is released will freeNX be updated accordingly? I would
> find it really useful to use the web browser access.

You can already access FreeNX using the NoMachine Web Companion client.
I use it almost daily.

I have got no idea how Web Player differs from Web Companion except for
the added functionality such as configuring connection time, but the
current solution basically works like this:

1. The websites embeds a Java applet.
2. The applet detects the operating system and downloads a matching
   client and a session file from the website.
3. The applet starts the client with the session file.

Clients are available for Linux, Solaris, Windows and OSX.
Unfortunately, only i386 versions are included, so running e.g. on Linux
x86_64 requires a bunch of i386 libraries to be installed.

Regards,
// Veit