[FreeNX-kNX] Re: nxnode floating point exception

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Thu Nov 4 20:42:31 UTC 2010

On 10/28/2010 12:09 PM, chris at ccburton.com wrote:

> Jeff Siddall <news at siddall.name> wrote on 28/10/2010 15:58:26:
> [SNIP]
>> Got nx 3.3.0-38.fc12.  Latest one in the repos.
>
> The latest version of agent and the libraries is 3.4.0 something or
> other, but no-one else reported your issue afaik anyway.
>
> [SNIP]
>>         wait $NODE_AGENT_PID
>
> OK That's just waiting for your agent session to end . . . .
> . . .  which it does . . .
>

>> > ssh -X myserver; /usr/libexec/nx/nxnode --agent
>>
>> I assume that means run ssh and then inside the ssh run
>> /usr/libexec/nx/nxnode --agent rather than passing that whole thing to a
>> shell?  If so, I get this:
>
> I just copied it.
>
> Actually I think it should be more like
>
>         ssh -X myserver "/usr/libexec/nx/nxnode --agent :1000"
>
> and after a slight delay depending on how fast your machine and link are
> you should get a black NX window from an agent on your server . . . .

Initially I tried this and it didn't work so I tried from a different
machine and it worked!  I also got the client to connect so I suspended
the session and went back to my original client.  I tried ssh -X
myserver and ran xclock, and that didn't work either.  Eventually I
discovered I was getting MTU exceeded errors on the VPN connection I was
using.  Good grief.

Anyway, once that was resolved I could get a black NX window by running
nxnode.  Problem solved, or so I thought!

Unfortunately things got worse.  I could not connect with the original
NX client or the 2nd one I just had working either :(

The server log contained:

NX> 596 Error: Session restore failed. Reason was: Session: Display
failure detected at 'Thu Nov  4 16:14:13 2010'.

Hmmm...

Eventually I found:

/usr/libexec/nx/nxserver --terminate

and once the old session was terminated I was able to connect with no
problem!

Thanks for the advice.  Long road but glad it's finally working.

My only remaining question is whether suspending a session generally a
bad thing?  Any ideas why my suspended session broke future connection
attempts?

Jeff