[FreeNX-kNX] stripping down FreeNX to work w/o authentication

Harald Milz hm at seneca.muc.de
Wed Mar 24 07:57:13 UTC 2010

Hi,

I would like to use FreeNX to build a stripped down version where the session
(seamless applications, mostly) starts up real fast, without going through the
full authentication process (think single sign-on). This projects takes place
in an environment where all users are kept in AD so we assume the environment
to be trusted (or maybe we use Kerberos TGT, don't know yet). So more or less,
a functionality like "ssh -X" with ssh keys available on the target machine.
Since we connect over WAN, "ssh -X" is not an option -- except maybe if one
hacked libXcomp into ssh, don't know. Any idea how this might work?

As I understand NX, I can invoke nxproxy on the client side, nxproxy on the
server side, exchange Xauthority appropriately, and invoke the application
with DISPLAY set to the server side nxproxy.

Has anyone done that, and have some sample scripts?

TIA!

--
A sense of humor keen enough to show a man his own absurdities will
keep him from the commission of all sins, or nearly all, save those