[FreeNX-kNX] Force new NX Session without getting the Session Chooser

Terje Andersen terander at guard.zapto.org
Thu Nov 26 23:43:29 UTC 2009

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 10:30:10 +0100
Florian Schmidt <fschmidt at gmx.at> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am interested in forcing a new session for a user by just changing the
> session file. So even when a user has connected and working sessions I want
> to create a session file to force a new session without getting the session
> chooser (where you than also can reconnect old sessions)

Florian, do you mean to never give users a persistent session (not being
able to suspend/resume) and always give them a new session - even
if they have one running?

If this is what you want, you can achieve this by setting in the node.conf
file on the server (typically found here: /etc/nxserver/node.conf):
DISABLE_PERSISTENT_SESSION="all"
(you can change "all" to a group of users, or a list of users if you want
it only to be enforced for some users.)

When your users log out, it will take about 30 secs until they're session
is killed/removed.

> I checked the source of nxserver but I haven't found anything there to allow
> such a behavior. Does anyone knows if this is possible or of this could be
> patched in the source and if so maybe even how?

I would take a look into what the node.conf file provides of settings and
possibilities, I think this is possible to achieve (look at the Quickstart
guide to FreeNX, or FAQ, for explaination for the settings/directives).
Also look at 'nxacl' tool which gives another set of admin control of the users
and their sessions. You can find more information about it at the FAQ (look
at the bottom of this mail).

//Terje