[FreeNX-kNX] NX Client with Windows 7

Jeremy Wilkins wjeremy at shaw.ca
Mon Nov 9 23:11:42 UTC 2009

This is a problem with the way the NX client utilizes DirectDraw and cannot
be resolved except by disabling DirectDraw in the client as you have done
already, or for the windows cygwin X sources to be updated to support the
new DirectDraw/Direct3D layer.  Vista and Windows 7 both use a new
DirextDraw layer which has limited compatibility with the old DirectDraw
methods via a 3D buffer redirect in Aero mode (direct indirect if you will).
The problem comes up when the screen is locked because Aero shuts down
temporarily (resuming legacy DirectDraw/Direct3D mode to save resouces I
think) and NX should relinquish its hold on the DirectDraw buffer at this
time.  It doesn't because the cygwin X server would fail if it did, leading
to a disconnect.  Windows 7 detecting that DirectDraw is active in legacy
mode doesn't enable Aero again until the DirectDraw buffer is closed.
Rightly so, as some legacy programs (Mostly 3D ones) might crash or corrupt
the framebuffer possibly leading to a system halt otherwise.  This also
might be resolved if cygwin X could release its DirectDraw buffer when the
screen is locked or unlocked without losing the X server entirely.  Kind of
running the X server into a memory buffer temporarily instead of the screen
until after.  Windows 7 could also be smarter about what kind of DirectDraw
buffer is being used since there is no 3D used in the buffer it would likely
be safe for Windows to resume Aero.  I'm pretty sure you would get the same
results if you shut down Aero while NX is running, but that is worth a try
to see.  If it starts again successfully it is a Windows 7 bug with regards
to legacy DirectDraw treatment during screen lock, otherwise what I said
stands true.