[FreeNX-kNX] freenx client crashes on starting Matlab

Terje Andersen terander at guard.zapto.org
Wed Mar 18 20:24:00 UTC 2009

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 01:02:36 +0100
Art <grenander at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Terje,
>
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 11:51 PM, Terje Andersen
> <terander at guard.zapto.org>wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 19:16:59 +0100
> > Art <grenander at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I am running freenx server (0.7.3+teambzr102-0freenxteam1~hardy1) on
> > Ubuntu.
> > > It works extremely well and has made my life a lot easier.
> > >
> > > I have a problem with one application. When I start MATLAB on a session
> > on
> > > the server machine with a Mac OS NoMachine client, the client dies and
> > every
> > > time I try to reconnect to the server, it crashes. I assume this has
> > > something to do with fonts. Matlab does all sort of weird things wherever
> > > run it so it could be something else. Was wondering if someone you could
> > > help. I have Matlab on both machines.
> > >

> > You need to look (or supply the logs), in node.conf:
> >
> > NX_LOG_LEVEL=5
> > SESSION_LOG_CLEAN=0
> >

> I did this and restated the freenx-server.
>
> I repeated the matlab crash but I am not sure the logs are informative. This
> is the only time I have had a problem with a freenx after much use and
> abuse. As a result, I know almost nothing about how it works.
>
> Then connect and start matlab, look at the logs, serverside:
> > /var/log/nxserver.log
> > ~/.nx/<session-id>/session (and error)
> > look at the client at the same place as the last one above this line (or
> > c:\documents and settings\username\.nx\<session-id>\session/error)
> >
> > If you can't figure out the error, return here with the logs.
>

> The client logs are as follows:

The logs shows no FreeNX related erros, as far as I see, so this looks to be a
matlab issue. I've never used matlab myself, so I can't give any further pointers
on how to resolve this.

Maybe you could try to start matlab in a console and pipe the output to a logfile
which hopefully will have some information from the matlab application when the
crash happens.

Regards,
Terje