[FreeNX-kNX] Freenx and single x application

Terje Andersen terander at guard.zapto.org
Tue Mar 17 18:07:09 UTC 2009

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 16:17:28 +0200
George Beitis <george.beitis at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
> this is my first post here and i wanted to get some information as to how it
> is best to set up an environment where when specific users log in remotely
> via Freenx(running ontop of an ubuntu machine), only a specific application
> would be launched for them.
>
> In my case i want them to log in to be able to use firefox remotetly.  Using
> the nomachine free client, i can setup a specific application to be
> launched, which would solve the problem.  My only concern is that the
> clients, which will be running on windows, might have their setups changed
> allowing users to log in to, lets say gnome, which is something i do not
> want for all users.
>
> Is there a way to lock this down?  I was looking into writting loging
> scripts for those users to basically only launch firefox when they log in,
> but have had no luck so far.

Hi George,

You should take a look at the nxacl component that Fabian made to adress such
needs, or if you would rather use the Window Manager to do this, you should
look at how to configure a kiosk setup in KDE/Gnome.

For more info about the nxacl, look at the sample provided with FreeNX, or
at the Wiki/FAQ (look at the bottom of this mail for the URL).

Regards,
Terje