[FreeNX-kNX] Does freenx inherit client window behavior?

Terje Andersen terander at guard.zapto.org
Tue Mar 10 22:34:27 UTC 2009

----- Melding fra lesmikesell at gmail.com ---------
    Dato: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 10:08:08 -0500
     Fra: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>
Svar-til: User Support for FreeNX Server and kNX Client
<freenx-knx at kde.org>
    Emne: [FreeNX-kNX] Does freenx inherit client window behavior?
     Til: User Support for FreeNX Server and kNX Client
<freenx-knx at kde.org>

> I regularly suspend Linux Gnome desktop sessions and reconnect,
> switching between Windows and Mac NX clients and it seems like
there are
> some subtle behavior differences that don't always stick to the
right
> client.  For example, normally when running from the Windows
client a
> click on any exposed portion of a window will bring it to the front
and
> give it the focus, but on the Mac I generally have to click on the
> window title bar.  Is this normal and is there a bug that causes
it to
> sometimes retain the wrong behavior when switching clients?

I think this has with the fact that you move from Mac to Windows, or
the opposit way.
When switching to another client, and even more important, to another
OS/other X11 server, you might end up changing the geometry, and/or
X11 extensions, which then will be used in the session being resumed.
This can both result in not being able to resume, or some "quirks"
might appear (like those you describe).

Take a look at the following information from NoMachine:
http://www.nomachine.com/ar/view.php?ar_id=AR03C00166

At this page (http://www.nomachine.com/fr/view.php?id=FR02E01636) you
find that NoMachine has plans for fixing these issues:

"In the current implementation, when the agent initializes its own
screen it inherits some parameters and structures from the target
display, e.g.: depth, visuals, pixmap formats, picture formats."

This page also gives some nice background info:
http://www.nomachine.com/ar/view.php?ar_id=AR02F00506

> Also, is it normal for only the Mac NX client to be able to resize
the
> window and the underlying desktop?  In Windows it seems to snap to
the
> available space and resize accordingly when connecting from
machines
> with different monitor resolutions, but can't resize afterwards. Is
that
>    a restriction of the windows client or have I missed a
configuration
> option?

At the current implementation in the !M NXClient, you can't resize the
client display (Like on X11 clients; Max/Linux/etc.) - the client will
resize the client display on session resume, you can't do it yourself.

more info regarding this and Mac clients:
http://www.nomachine.com/tr/view.php?id=TR06E01730
http://www.nomachine.com/fr/view.php?id=FR11C01172

Regards,
Terje