[FreeNX-kNX] freenx as non-root user

Roberto A. Foglietta roberto.foglietta at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 07:26:31 UTC 2009

2009/6/21 Misha Koshelev <mk144210 at bcm.edu>

> Hi,
>
> I would like to find an alternative as a non-root user between:
> 1) ssh -Y which is slow and
> 2) VNC which is faster but must run a whole desktop
>
> Specifically, I use nomachine's servers on my own computer and they work
> _very_ well. I would like to use freenx but to run as non-root user.
>
> Is this possible? The RPMs seem non-relocatable so can't install with
> fakeroot

 Use nxproxy to establish a nx-compressed tunnel in which you can
remote an application.

 nxproxy -S 192.168.0.4:8 & ssh ospite at 192.168.0.4 "export DISPLAY=:8;
nxproxy -C :8 & firefox".

 Instead of firefox you can run xterm and by that xterm session you
could run any remote software.

 Instead 192.168.0.4 you should use the ip or hostname of the remote
server (on which nxproxy should be installed also).

 Ciao,
--
Roberto A. Foglietta,
Linux Embedded Consultant