[FreeNX-kNX] Suspending client session does not work

Mario Becroft mb at gem.win.co.nz
Sat Jul 18 02:56:54 UTC 2009

Christoph Schumacher <christoph at unixfrickler.de> writes:

> Hi !
>
> I've freshley installed FreeNX and NX on a SLES11 machine.
> So far, everything is fine....besides ....closing the client session
> window by ALT-F4 or clicking X does not have any effect. This does not
> work for qtnx nor for the NoMachine Client on Debian/squeeze. Also it
> does not work for the NoMachine Client on Windows XP.
>
> So i guess the problem is the server...i tried to debug, but closing
> windows does not write debug output on the server.
>
> Any help would be appriciated !
>
> Packages are from SUSE Build Service for SLES10:
> FreeNX-0.7.2-26.1
> NX-3.2.0-22.1

Closing the client window does not immediately terminate the connection,
but triggers the server to display a dialog where the user can choose to
suspend, terminate or cancel. It appears the problem is this dialog is
not being displayed.

I suggest checking /usr/NX/bin/nxdialog (maybe in a different place on
your distro) which is used to display this dialog: maybe it is not
working.

Also note that the versions of FreeNX and NX that you are using are
quite old. Getting the latest versions is recommended as there are many
bug fixes. I'm not sure whether it will help with this specific issue
though.

Finally, simply killing the client nxssh process has the effect of
suspending the session and could be a solutionm, at least until you
figure out why nxdialog is not working.

--
Mario Becroft <mb at gem.win.co.nz>