[FreeNX-kNX] Call to bind failed for font TCP port 12000

Alastair Johnson alastair at solutiontrax.com
Wed Jul 1 12:19:17 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 01 July 2009, Neal Becker wrote:
> Alastair Johnson wrote:

> >> non-free nxserver doesn't have this problem.  Must be a better way.
> >
> > Are you sure the non-free one doesn't have this problem? It used to, and
> > the bug is still marked open.
> >
> > http://www.nomachine.com/tr/view.php?id=TR05E01682
>
> I am pretty sure I've had more than one server simultaneously connected to
> my one client using non-free.  I used all default settings on both client
> and servers.

That's perfectly possible as there is only a problem when you have the same
session number on both machines. If you have the 5th session on server A and
the 7th on server B then there's no problem.

Section 13 of the nomachine admin guide talks about adjustment of a similarly
named variable for exactly this reason, so it looks like they still have the
same issue. There may be differences in how session numbers are recycled that
make a success on the next attempt more likely in nomachine's nxserver than
freenx I suppose.

The 'better way' would be to extend the protocol to let the client tell the
server which session numbers were unavailable. It might be possible to include
this in one of the open clients like qtnx, but the problem would remain with
the nomachine client.