[FreeNX-kNX] freenx and real X-session

Daniel Milisic dmilisic at desktopecho.com
Fri Jan 30 08:46:24 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 11:24 PM, Anton <warm at stack.ru> wrote:
> Good day.
>
> I suspect that my question was asked many times befor but I could not to find any answer at google.
>
> I have real X-session in my work desktop (gdm to login + icewm). I lock my desktop by the xlockmore and go
> home. At home I try to connect to my work desktop by nxclient. Always I get new session or suspend this new
> session and then I can detouch it back. But I want to get into my real X-session is it possable ? How ?
>
> I tried to use shadowing but it does not work or it is not what I want. I find at google and docs that I
> should use KDE or Gnome to get their session detouched but I do not want use this heavy DE :-). I need to use
> my usual desktop enveroment.
>
> --
> Anton [WARM-RIPE]
> Stack ltd division head
> tel. 8 (3822) 555-797

>     Were you helped on this list with your FreeNX problem?
>    Then please write up the solution in the FreeNX Wiki/FAQ:

>         Don't forget to check the NX Knowledge Base:
>                 http://www.nomachine.com/kb/

Hi,

You bring up an interesting usage scenario... iMKS (CentOS 5, FreeNX
0.7.2, NX 3.2) is a virtual appliance so there's no physical
framebuffer to deal with -- all interaction with the CentOS 5 VM is
done by workstations running NX Client.

iMKS normally lets your workstation do the window management (rootless
operation) however GNOME and XFCE desktops can be easily exposed.
Selecting "CDE" or "GNOME" in the NX Client options will open a
minimally equipped XFCE or GNOME 2.22 desktop.  Screen-sharing is
built into GNOME but /usr/libexec/vino-server" will work independently
from the full desktop environment.

I've played with this for a little while and it seems to work very
well.  I can login to my iMKS desktop from home over NX/X11 and run
vino-server.  Other user(s) on iMKS can login from wherever, using
NX/VNC to mirror my NX/X11 session.

In your situation, if it's acceptable to interact with your physical
desktop through NX (over localhost) then this idea should work for VNC
mirroring your icewm sessions.

Regards,
D.