[FreeNX-kNX] Collection of helpful freenx patches

Mario Becroft mb at gem.win.co.nz
Mon Jan 26 04:34:45 UTC 2009

Marcelo Boveto Shima <marceloshima at gmail.com> writes:

>     authorization.patch
>
>     Authorisation patch. On my system, at least, nxnode fails to set up the
>     ~/.Xauthority file correctly, because by the time it runs the xauth
>     command, the XAUTHORITY environment variable has already been set to
>     ~/.nx/C-*/authority. Change the first xauth command to explicitly work
>     on ~/.Xauthority. Ignore the nxhost* lines or replace with your own
>     hostname(s) if you want to authorize connections from other than localhost.
>

> Don't know which system needs this patch.

As far as I can see, everything. I don't see how it could have worked
the way it was. Obviously it must have worked for some people though, or
someone would have fixed it before. If you look at the code you can see
where it sets XAUTHORITY prior to running xauth. Then it runs xauth
twice, first time is intended to run on the main xauthority file, and
the second time on the special nx authority file. But it looks like they
actually both run on the nx authority file. (Unless I have misdiagnosed
this.) A better patch might be to preserve the value of XAUTHORITY
before the script changes it, in case the user had it set to some
special value.

>     nxnode_echo_hang.patch
>
>     Fix hang in server_nxnode_echo() when the client dies or loses
>     connectivity. This resulted in sessions not suspending and resuming
>     correctly in that case.
>
> Nice. I will include it on ubuntu package.

Be aware this is a workaround; someone probably needs to have a good
look at this to devise a proper solution. The whole catching of SIGPIPE
and so on does not seem to work as designed, at least in some cases.

>     shadow_suspended_sessions.patch
> I really don't like the idea of shadowing a suspended session.
> But probably should be made configurable at node.conf.

Why don't you like the idea? For me, it is essential in case someone
asks me to login to their account after hours and fix some problem with
their config, or whatever. (Only problem is if they don't have a session
running, this won't work. But my users always leave their sessions
running.) Obviously should be configurable.

>     valgrind.patch
> Don't think much people will actually use it.

Right, this is just for debugging.

If you like any of my other patches enough, feel free to fix them up
suitable for mainlining! Most of them are just quick hacks to get some
functionality I needed. I just posted them in case someone else happens
to need something similar.

> Thanks for your contributions.
> My patches are hosted at http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~freenx-team/freenx-server
> /ubuntu/changes

Great! I'll see if any of your patches are useful at my site.

BTW, where is freenx development hosted now? The subversion repository
on berlios.de has not been updated for 2 months, and it looks like it
was being migrated to git. But I can't find anything about git on the
project page at berlios.de.

--
Mario Becroft <mb at gem.win.co.nz>