[FreeNX-kNX] Does anyone else want Xinerama support in nx?

Mario Becroft mb at gem.win.co.nz
Thu Jan 22 11:41:35 UTC 2009

We have a need for Xinerama support in nx. Meaning, if the user running
nxclient has Xinerama, then when you create an nxagent session with a
virtual desktop, the nxagent will provide the Xinerama extension and
pass the xinerama info to clients. (This enables a window manager
running on the nxagent display to do user friendly things such as
placing new windows within a single screen, instead of placing them
across the boundary of two screens, for example.)

I enquired with nomachine, but it is unclear when they will support
this.

It would be relatively easy to get the functionality we need if we did
not use the virtual desktop feature, but this feature is helpful for
other reasons so we want to keep using it.

I have considered two possible approaches to this.

The most complete way of doing it is for nxagent to get the Xinerama
info from its display, store this internally, and provide it to
clients. It may be possible to use the XRandR extension to detect and
propagate changes in screen geometry that occur when the user suspends
and restores the nxagent session on a different display.

That sounds like a bit of work, and I am not sure that you would want
the screen geometry info to change every time you resume the session.

An alternative approach that is sufficient for most of our needs, and
sounds a bit easier to implement, involves letting the user configure
their screen geometries manually when invoking nxagent, and nxagent
simply provides this info to clients, irrespective of its current
display (if any). This works because most of our users who require this
feature always use the same screen configuration. It might be a bit
weird though if you resized your nxagent screen so that it no longer
matches the xinerama info. I will have to think about this.

It looks fairly easy to hack together a fake Xinerama extension that
does something along these lines.

Is there any interest in this? Comments? Does anyone want to help?

--
Mario Becroft <mb at gem.win.co.nz>