[FreeNX-kNX] nxagent session gets lost, user gets new session even though one already exists

Mario Becroft mb at gem.win.co.nz
Mon Jan 19 14:28:04 UTC 2009

"Freerk Kalsbeek" <f.kalsbeek at mindswitch.nl> writes:

> I've had a number of similar reports from users. In this case triggered by not
> being able to start firefox since it is still running in the not properly
> terminated session.

Yes! Exactly the same symptoms here. Helpdesk has to zap the user's old
session and the instances of firefox, openoffice etc. that were running
on it so that they can start them on their new session.

> I think I'll be able to test a few things on my wife's Vista laptop. Hope that
> this gives some hints.

See my previous mail for detailed notes on how I was able to repeat the
problem on a Windows Vista laptop. It is a bit subtle, since the first
time you resume the session after suspending, it works apparently fine
(unless you check the output of nxserver --list and notice that your
session has vanished). It is the second time you try to resume the
session that you see the problem.

> One story I got from a user is that his session was lost after an automatic
> reboot of Vista after installing updates.

In our case it happens every time you suspend the laptop with the nx
client running.

I think that's three of us now who are having this problem. We should be
able to get to the bottom of it. I can't do any more testing until I get
a Windows laptop (I'm not sure if it has to be vista) to play with,
probably not until next week. Meanwhile I will be keen to hear the
results of your investigation.

--
Mario Becroft <mb at gem.win.co.nz>