[FreeNX-kNX] X forwarding to FreeNX server?

Mario Becroft mb at gem.win.co.nz
Sun Jan 18 22:38:23 UTC 2009

Chris Jewell <chris.jewell at warwick.ac.uk> writes:

> Mario,
>
> Many thanks for the help.  This worked very well with a command such as:
>
> $ qrsh -display $HOSTNAME$DISPLAY xclock
>
> However, do you know if it is possible to configure FreeNX to explicitly set the
> hostname in $DISPLAY, so qrsh can just forward it to the execution node without having
> to use the -display argument?

Well this is slightly tricky. Normally rsh may not even pass the DISPLAY
variable to the remote host at all unless you explicitly set it. I am
not familiar with qrsh. As for the hostname, you could probably tweak
one of the nx scripts to do this. Of course, this would mean that
locally invoked clients would then use tcp instead of unix sockets to
connect to the X server, which could be slower.

Either way will involve a bit of hacking. On my system I have a special
script used for invoking applications. It looks up a database to find
out what host the command should be run on, mangles the DISPLAY variable
as required and then runs the command with rsh.

--
Mario Becroft <mb at gem.win.co.nz>