[FreeNX-kNX] X forwarding to FreeNX server?

Mario Becroft mb at gem.win.co.nz
Sun Jan 18 02:03:49 UTC 2009

Chris Jewell <chris.jewell at warwick.ac.uk> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am interested in using FreeNX on the frontend node of a small Linux cluster.  I'm
> intending to use Sun Grid Engine to manage the grid tasks, since one of the most
> attractive features is to be able to launch tasks on the frontend node which are then
> assigned transparently to the execution nodes.  One thing I would like to do is to
> configure SGE to use rsh to launch tasks, and have them connect to the Xserver running
> on the frontend node for GUIs.  I have configured this fine for the raw Xserver if one
> is sat at the frontend node, since configuring X to accept TCP connections is
> straight-forward enough.  However, if I connect to the frontend node using a FreeNX
> connection from somewhere else, the forwarding fails.  How can I get my application,
> running on an execution node, to connect to the FreeNX server (?) running on the
> frontend node to display my GUI?

Edit node.conf, remove "-nolisten tcp" from AGENT_EXTRA_OPTIONS_X if it
is there (I don't think I have ever had a case where I don't want X to
accept tcp connections, yet this is the default, go figure). Then ensure
that somehow the DISPLAY environment variable is set to correctly when
remotely invoking the tasks. This might mean doing something like:

rsh foo DISPLAY=$DISPLAY task

--
Mario Becroft <mb at gem.win.co.nz>