[FreeNX-kNX] pre-authenticated mode?

Terje Andersen terander at guard.zapto.org
Fri Jan 16 21:04:41 UTC 2009

on., 14.01.2009 kl. 02.24 -0800, skrev Karl Chen:
> I'm using freenx with QtNX as the client.  I don't want
> centralized authentication (is it mainly there so NX can limit #
> users per license?).  I want to just use regular ssh and not even
> need the 'nx' user account on the system.  Is this possible?

I'm not sure which server you are talking about, but since you mention
licenses I take it as you are talking about the Free NXServer from
NoMachine?

Then I don't think you can go around the license issue, and you
shouldn't have to either - if your goal is to have more users, but don't
want to pay any extra licenses, you can use the open source FreeNX
(http://freenx.berlios.de) which this mailinglist primarely is about.

Regarding your question about the use of the special 'nx' user, it's
there of several reasons, but as I understand it, not because it's used
to limit the # users in the commercial/Free NXServer (not the open
source one) - this is handled in the NXServer program itself.

With it's open source counterpart, FreeNX, there is no such restrictions
(aside from the hw-capacity), but I think the gentoo implementation does
without the 'nx' user.

As a side note; the 'nx' user is just used during the interaction with
the server during session establishment/removal - you actually use SSH
to login through PAM as your real user - it's a 2-step process.

Hope this explains things, if not just ask :-)

Regards,

Terje