[FreeNX-kNX] nxagent output goes to wrong file suddenly (very weird)

Mario Becroft mb at gem.win.co.nz
Fri Jan 9 16:38:13 UTC 2009

While diagnosing an unrelated issue, I just encountered something
extremely odd. I had a nxagent session running which was working fine; I
could suspend and resume it successfully.

After something else went wrong which caused the nxagent to hang for a
number of minutes, during which there were some unsuccessful attempts at
resuming the session (but nxagent recovered from this), I could no
longer resume the session, even though nxagent had recovered and was
responding normally.

I found that the output from nxagent, like:

Info: Proxy running in server mode with pid '26212'.
Info: Waiting for connection from '10.10.12.88' on port '5048'.

which nxnode reads from the session file and which is necessary for the
resume process to work, was being written to the clients file instead of
the sessions file!

By manually catting the relevant lines into the session file at the
right time, I was able to resume the session as normal, and after that
everything was normal again and I could successfully suspend and resume.

Is that weird or what? I am unsure exactly how the output is directed
into these different files. Are both of these files written by nxagent?
Or is it freenx that directs the client output into the clients file? I
am just trying to figure out where something could have got twisted so
as to misdirect the output. And what could have made it come right once
I successfully resumed the session.

I have never seen this in normal operation, so it is probably not at all
a critical problem--just very curious.

BTW, I am getting a lot of help from nomachine with the other problems I
posted about recently. I seem to have a fix that works. I will post the
details here in due course.

--
Mario Becroft <mb at gem.win.co.nz>