[FreeNX-kNX] Reverse Connection with FreeNX

Terje Andersen terander at guard.zapto.org
Tue Feb 24 21:25:53 UTC 2009

   ----- Melding fra registrosnxuy at live.com.ar ---------
    Dato: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 12:27:48 -0300
     Fra: Federico Rosendo <registrosnxuy at live.com.ar>
Svar-til: User Support for FreeNX Server and kNX Client <freenx-knx at kde.org>
    Emne: [FreeNX-kNX] Reverse Connection with FreeNX
     Til: FreeNX <freenx-knx at kde.org>

> Hi everybody!
>
> I'm looking for your help, I need to make a reverse connection with
> FreeNX, like the reverse connection of VNC that the server connects
> to the client and the connection is succeful, no router or firewall
> configurations, can it be made? how?

   I won't say that it's impossible (nothing is impossible in the Open
Source world :p), but I can't see any easy way of accomplishing this.

   VNC uses (AFAIK) a rather simple authentication mechanism, but the
NX technology uses SSH (with pub/priv key) + user&password.
"Reversing" this mechanism doesn't look (to me) to be a simple task.
You would also need to make a custom client (look at the FreeNX Client
QtNX for GPL'ed code) that would accept the connection from the server.

   Maybe I'm looking all wrong at this; a simple program (on the
server) could send a special command to a custom client with info
about the server/IP that it (the custom client) should initiate a
connection to. That might be a more probable workaround to it...

   My 2 cents :-)

   Regards,

   Terje