[FreeNX-kNX] load balancing question(s)

Matthew Richardson M.Richardson at ed.ac.uk
Thu Feb 5 15:10:43 UTC 2009

Matt Nicholson wrote:
> Does any one have any experience with load balancing issues? I have
> forwarding working, but load balancing is what we really want, and
> I've basically hit a brick wall, and am not getting much in the way of
> useful output from anything? Any help? Please?
>

>     I've got 3 systems; access01, access02, and access03.
>
>     access01 will be my load balancer, so its node.conf has:
>
>     LOAD_BALANCE_SERVERS="access01 access02 access03"
>
>     # The following load_balance_algorithms are available at the moment:
>     #
>     # "load", "round-robin", "random"
>     #
>     # For "load" you need a script called nxcheckload in PATH_BIN.
>     #
>     # A sample script, which you can change to your needs it shipped with
>     # FreeNX under the name nxcheckload.sample.
>
>     LOAD_BALANCE_ALGORITHM="
>     random"
>
>     access02 and 03 have:
>
>     ENABLE_SERVER_FORWARD="1"
>     SERVER_FORWARD_HOST="access01"
>     SERVER_FORWARD_PORT=22
>     SERVER_FORWARD_KEY="/usr/NX/share/client.id_dsa.key"

I think this is the wrong way to go about it.  you can't enable FORWARD
and LOAD_BALANCE on the same computer, or you'll potentially end up
going round and round in circles.  Since a connection to access02 will
forward to 01, and 01 will load balance back to 02 again, you'll just
get horribly stuck.

the best approach is to do:

access01:
LOAD_BALANCE_SERVERS="access02 access 03"
LOAD_BALANCE_ALGORITHM="random"

And leave it at that.  Always connect to access01.  You can /probably/
put access01 in the SERVERS list as well, but I don't know if nx is
clever enough to not get stuck in a loop with this.

Once you've got the above working with no problems, try the more complex
options.

Matthew

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.