[FreeNX-kNX] Remote Printing Speeds

mtrainer at central-data.net mtrainer at central-data.net
Fri Sep 26 02:27:26 UTC 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brent Davidson" <brent at texascountrytitle.com>
To: "User Support for FreeNX Server and kNX Client" <freenx-knx at kde.org>
Sent: Thursday, 25 September, 2008 5:08:48 PM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: [FreeNX-kNX] Remote Printing Speeds

FreeNX has proven to give fantastic performance with desktop
applications, etc, but I was wondering if anyone has done real-world
testing with remote printing speeds and FreeNX.  I.E, if I were to use a
client-side printer to print a PDF that was opened on the server, would
there be a large delay getting it to print?  Would it take as long to
print the file as it would to download it to the client machine?

I have an application where I might need client-side printing but I
don't want to spend the time needed to get it up and running if I'm just
going to hit a roadblock with the printing speeds.

Thanks,
Brent Davidson

Hi Brent,

We have several users using client-side printing and haven't had any complaints about the speed.  The data is sent through a compressed ssh tunnel so it should be fine for printing things like pdf's.  Large bitmap type printouts may be slower though.

Murray