[FreeNX-kNX] How can I get sound on a client when the server has no soundcard

Freerk Kalsbeek f.kalsbeek at mindswitch.nl
Thu Sep 11 14:03:45 UTC 2008

Hi listusers,

I've recently setup freenx on my CentOS 5 server. Everything works like a
charm except sound support is not working at all.
When logging in on KDE I get an error complaining that /dev/dsp does not
exist. This is true because there is no soundcard in the server.

Is it possible to use sound on a terminal session when there is no soundcard
in the server?
Can I have something like a fake /dev/dsp?

Anyone who has experience with this?

To be complete I use the Linux NX client on Ubuntu 8.04 and have configured
multimedia to be enabled.
In the node.conf file I now have both preloading of arts and esd enabled.

Already tried using the snd-dummy kernel module, but that didn't help
either.

Thanx,

Freerk Kalsbeek