[FreeNX-kNX] freenix on RHEL3 - loop warning

Alastair Johnson alastair at solutiontrax.com
Thu Sep 4 15:57:18 UTC 2008

lhecking at users.sourceforge.net wrote:
>  Hi all,
>
>  I realise I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm running out of ideas at this
>  point. Any help is appreciated.
>
>  Short: is freenx-0.7 compatible with the NoMachine 3.x client?

Yes - I've used that combination with Gentoo, Fedora 8 and 9, and CentOS
5 so it seems a broadly reasonable combination.

>  Long: I have managed to hack up freenx-0.7.2-1.el5.centos.src.rpm and
>  nx-2.1.0-22.fc7.src.rpm to get it to work on RHEL3 - mostly accounting
>  for different file locations, paths, and package names. nx-3.x cannnot
>  be made to work on RHEL3. When I try to connect using the latest NoMachine
>  client for Windows, the connection comes up, but then dies instantly.

> NX> 710 Session status: running
> server_nxnode_echo: NX> 710 Session status: running
> NX> 1002 Commit
> server_nxnode_echo: NX> 1002 Commit
> NX> 1006 Session status: running
> session_status 96A9154C82ADC23FFBC91CCC56AB276A Running
> server_nxnode_echo: NX> 1006 Session status: running
> NX> 105 bye
> Bye
> NX> 999 Bye
> NX> 1009 Session status: terminating
> session_status 96A9154C82ADC23FFBC91CCC56AB276A Terminating
> server_nxnode_echo: NX> 1009 Session status: terminating
> NX> 1006 Session status: closed
> session_close 96A9154C82ADC23FFBC91CCC56AB276A
> NX> 1001 Bye.
> server_nxnode_echo: NX> 1006 Session status: closed
> server_nxnode_echo: NX> 1001 Bye.
>
>  The only real error I can find is (~USER/.nx/T-C-HOST-LOOOONG_STRING/errors):
>
> Loop: WARNING! Connected to remote NXPROXY version 3.2.0 with local version 2.1.0.
>
>  Any ideas how to fix this?

That warning should be just that - a warning. It should still work fine
IIRC, but someone may remember differently. It's been a while since I've
used the 2.x libs.

It looks like a normal closure of a session. It may be worth checking
that the session startup command you are using will actually run, as if
it fails it may appear that the session has simply exited quickly. Check
COMMAND_START_KDE and similar in nxloadconfig (the defaults), or in
/etc/nxserver/node.conf (config file which overrides the defaults). I
had a situation where installing kde-base failed to pull in a required
command for the nx kde session startup on FC3, causing the startup
script to exit immediately, which in turn caused the session to
terminate as if the user had ended the session.