[FreeNX-kNX] Sharing an existing desktop session

Yuval Hager yuval at avramzon.net
Sat May 31 15:06:22 UTC 2008

On Saturday 31 May 2008, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Yuval Hager wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've scanned the docs, the web and this mailing list, as much as I could
> > but could not find a direct answer.
> >
> > I have a running desktop on the local machine, and I want to be able to
> > view it when I am away, using NX.
> > I've tried to select 'shadow' (figured this is what I want, but not so
> > sure now..) desktop mode, but the response was that this server does not
> > support session shadowing.
> > I followed an advice in a forum and switched that to VNC, but this causes
> > the NXclient to crash as soon as it draws the main window.
> >
> > I'm using nxserver-freenx-0.7.2-r2, nxclient-3.1.0-r1 on Gentoo.
> >
> > Sorry if this has been asked a million times, a simple pointer to read
> > the fine manual will also be appreciated.. :)
>
> What I do (I know this is a very convoluted approach, but it works for
> me :D) is this.
>
> I use a different user on my main workstation to login and I open a new
> NX connection for my main user under user2.
>
> When I connect from another machine, it will use that nx session too.

Thanks for the response.
I'm looking for a less intrusive method, so that the first session is not NX
related at all, and that I can stop the nxserver anytime. I'll be using that
session 95% of the time. I'd like to be able to connect and see this desktop
from a remote NX client.
Maybe this is also not sharing pre-se, so sorry about the confusion.

--y