[FreeNX-kNX] Wiki, Docs and Homepage

Terje Andersen terander at guard.zapto.org
Thu May 8 17:57:43 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 06 May 2008 15:49:48 Fabian Franz wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I got used to berlios, but as their services seem to degrade in quality
> (wiki not writable) and our homepage is not current anyway, I give out the
> following "jobs":
>
> - Website manager:
>
> Your task is to manage the FreeNX website possibly with a CMS in background
> so that changes can be easily done by editors.
>
> - Docs manager:
>
> Your task is to write new docs and look into old docs if they are current.
> It seems tan is doing that quite well already, but he might need help.

I can do this, but as Fabian said, I hope others will step up and help with
writing / maintaining the docs, and maybe give som feedback on the content if
that docs.

> It also seems that classic bugtracking via berlios did not work out.
>
> I also would like to change to git for version control with a central svn
> repository as master branch, so we can have several branches and I can more
> easily pull from a tree or get Signed-Off patches that I can easily apply
> or change.
>
> So any ideas where we can move, where we have a SVN, a very basic
> bugtracking tool for reporting bugs with ML interface and a Wiki?
>
> Perhaps we could also use a TRAC for HP and Wiki and Bugs and Tickets and
> leave the rest at berlios for now, while decreasing the amount of services
> used from berlios.
>
> Is anyone willing to setup something like that for like freenx.org? (We
> could point to your IP then ...)
>
> I think I am at a good stage for managing a stable version that is
> changing, but still very stable. Also with RL management of 3 months.
>
> But the overall other things I would like to hear is what you think we can
> do for managing the docs, HP and Wiki part more lively?
>
> So a very basic plan is:
>
> - Setup trac for wiki and bugs.
> - Setup git via github (free).
> - Use berlios only for SVN and file releases.
>
> Or you have better ideas? Please tell me!

I'm for this and think it's a good idea and wise move :-)
Hopefully there are people on this list that know where to best host these
services.