[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX feature set

Doug Breshears doug at jshfarms.com
Fri May 2 03:47:31 UTC 2008

> Doug Breshears wrote:
> >/ I have been playing with FreeNX for a while now and have been unable to
> />/ realize the claim that the FreeNX FAQ/Usage_Scenarios on Berlios make in
> />/ saying that one can suspend a session on one computer with a certain
> />/ display size and resume it on another computer with a different display
> />/ size...
> />/
> />/ ------------------- Quote ---------------------
> />/
> />/     * You start a new session (unix-kde or unix-gnome)
> />/     * You work with it and it runs fast (and even faster than VNC or
> />/       shadow ;-))
> />/     * You decide that you want to go home now, so you press ctrl+alt+t
> />/       (if in fullscreen mode) or close the window
> />/
> />/ The session is now suspended and awaits you resume.
> />/ Okay, you go home now:
> />/
> />/     * You login into your desktop and you have another fresh new session
> />/     * You startup nxclient
> />/     * You connect to the nxserver running on 127.0.0.1
> />/     * You have your running session with all open programs again and see
> />/       like a wonder the desktop stretches until all programs are fitting
> />/       on screen again.
> />/
> />/ ------------------- Quote ---------------------
> />/
> />/ This sounds pretty good but all I get is a session list with the resume
> />/ button disabled. Can anybody clue me in here?
> />/ Alternatively does anybody have a real feature list that shows what is
> />/ functional in FreeNX vs the Commercially available one?
> />/
> /I suspect this is the problem
>
> http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/freenx-knx/2005-September/002246.html
>
> I have no idea if it's been implemented
>
> --
> Clive

-----------------

Clive,  You are correct! It worked like a charm.
Thank you so much for the help.

Now if I can ask another related question.
The display resolution seems to also cause it to mess up. Here is a scenario.

Start session on Linux: res = 1600x1200 (Fullscreen)
Suspend
Start nxclient on laptop (WinXP): res = 1280x800 (Fullscreen)
Connection makes it to "Connecting to testjd" and then fails with "Connection Error".
- Now I know the issue is that it is trying to connect to the 1600x1200 session
(as I would like) and failing for some reason (Not able to resize?) because if I
log back into the session from the Linux side and log out, I can then log in from
the laptop.

I assume the phrase "/desktop stretches until all programs are fitting// on screen again."
meant to imply that you can resume sessions of different resolutions without issue. So
going on that, am I missing something else?/

The following is the "Detail" of the error. ( I could see nothing wrong here)

NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 3976
NX> 285 Enabling check on switch command
NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files
NX> 285 Setting the preferred NX options
NX> 200 Connected to address: 192.168.0.176 on port: 22
NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
HELLO NXSERVER - Version 2.1.0-72 OS (GPL, using backend: 3.1.0)
NX> 105 hello NXCLIENT - Version 2.1.0
NX> 134 Accepted protocol: 2.1.0
NX> 105 SET SHELL_MODE SHELL
NX> 105 SET AUTH_MODE PASSWORD
NX> 105 login
NX> 101 User: doug
NX> 102 Password:
NX> 103 Welcome to: jdg-desktop2 user: doug
NX> 105 listsession --user="doug" --status="suspended,running" --geometry="1280x800x32+render+fullscreen" --type="unix-gnome"
NX> 127 Sessions list of user 'doug' for reconnect:

Display Type             Session ID                       Options  Depth Screen         Status      Session Name
1001    unix-gnome       F8E4D6848C75B121C908F1034FB9848C -RD--PSA    24 1600x1200      Suspended   testjd

NX> 148 Server capacity: not reached for user: doug
NX> 105 NX> 280 Exiting on signal: 15

Thanks for any help.
Doug