[FreeNX-kNX] SuSE10.2, FreeNX vFreeNX-0.7.1-7.1.i586 (aahh sh...)

Verner Kjærsgaard vk at os-academy.dk
Thu Mar 6 21:56:03 UTC 2008

Torsdag den 6. Marts 2008 skrev Verner Kjærsgaard:
> Torsdag den 6. Marts 2008 skrev Verner Kjærsgaard:

> > > That one _should_ work.
> > >
> > > cu
> > >
> > > Fabian
> >
> > Hi list and Fabian,
> >
> > - dependency hell :-)
> >
> > - well, I installed "expect" and "rdesktop" of course. All ok, took them
> > from the DVD.
> > - I installed NX, which I downloaded from OpenSuSE build service, I
> > grabbed version "NX3-3.0.0-47.1.i586.rpm". All is ok.
> > - I then tried to install "FreeNX-0.7.1-6.1.i586.rpm", using "rpm -Uvh
> > --test FreeNX...rpm", I get:
> >
> > "Failed dependencies:
> >         NX is needed by FreeNX-0.7.1-6.1.i586"
> >
> > I check the RPM database with:
> >
> > rpm -qa | grep -i nx
> > NX3-3.0.0-47.1
> >
> > eh, any good ideas?
> >
> > As always, all help is greatly appreciated!

> > Med venlig hilsen/Best regards
> > Verner Kjærsgaard
>
> I'm airborne!!
>
> I followed the advise given by Alvarez; the FreeNX  works with the NX
> version he suggested.
> Thank you to Fabian, Alvarez, the list and all!

I was too quick.
It works perfectly well on the test machine. The production box, however,
breaks when trying to connect with:

NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 26236
NX> 285 Enabling check on switch command
NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files
NX> 285 Setting the preferred NX options
NX> 200 Connected to address: 85.27.xxx.yyy on port: 22
NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
NX> 204 Authentication failed.

It looks to me as if it's trying to authenticate using private/public SSH
keys. I don't want it to do so, if the user's got an account - and otherwise
may login using SSH, that should do it.

So I installed with --setup-nomachine-key and all. But in doing so, I get a
little strange thing; the install script quits too early! It looks like this:

Setting up /var/lib/nxserver/db ...done
Setting up /var/log/nxserver.log ...done
Setting up special user "nx" ...athena:/usr/bin #

- as you can see, the user nx is NOT created. If I create the user myself,
both in /etc/passwd and in /etc/shadow, it doesn't work. Also
the "authorized_keys2.disabled file is NOT installed. Doing so by hand,
making sure that the permissions are ok, does not work.

I should note that the umask of the root user on the production machine was
077. During installation, I changed that to the more liberal 022. It doesn't
change anything.

Ah sigh...any hints to what I'm doing wrong?