[FreeNX-kNX] Wishlist for 0.7.2 needed

Gregory Carter gcarter at aesgi.com
Sat Mar 1 19:32:13 UTC 2008

Really?

Mmm, well imagine a Quad Core duo processor machine charged with the
responsibility to handle the logins to freenx of about 100 user
sessions.   Some of these people will be on OS X, Linux/KDE desktops and
GAD,  Windows.

Everyone will be running Wine or Linux apps though.

You are going to host everything on the NX box, including the Windows
Apps, running Wine.

So you would set something like a processing policy under freenx that
would go something like this:

1) Core 1 will be left free for the OS for example and core 3 will
handle the NX sessions.

2) However, Cores 2 and 4 will actually be restricted to running the
apps and the sysadmin has wrapper scripts installed to handle calls to
these desktop items to make sure they are launched on the appropriate cores.
(This part NX has nothing to do with...but SHOULD be incorporated into
GNOME or KDE in the future...different idea perhaps.)

So NX would not launch on cores 2-4 any sessions.

So then, you would have a simple wrapper in NX that would launch ssh
sessions on a particular core, which I would assume you would set in the
config file.

I have experimented with this setup above, but the setup is messy and
complex, but it does work.

These utils are in the schedutils package in Fedora Repos.  Install them
and have a look at this article once:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/setting-processor-affinity-certain-task-or-process.html

It is trivial to do.

-gc