[FreeNX-kNX] Permission denied on authorized_keys2

Ka Lun Sze swordangel at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 04:53:48 UTC 2008

Hello,

I followed the instructions at
http://www.drtek.ca/freenx-server-ubuntu-hardy to install the FreeNX
server on my Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop machine. I get the FreeNX server to
install, but when I try to add a user using the command:

    sudo /usr/bin/nxserver --useradd myfoouser --system --administrator

I get these error messages:

    /usr/bin/nxnode: line 1481: /home/myfoouser/.ssh/authorized_keys2:
Permission denied
    chmod: cannot access `/home/myfoouser/.ssh/authorized_keys2':
Permission denied

So I investigated the permissions on the "authorized_keys2" file by
doing "sudo ls -al /home/myfoouser/" and "sudo ls -al
/home/myfoouser/.ssh/". What I find out is that "authorized_keys2"
does not exist in "/home/myfoouser/.ssh/". Furthermore,
"/home/myfoouser/.ssh" is owned by root:root and has 700 as
permission. Does the nxserver script attempt to create
authorized_keys2 at all? Why would it not have the permission at all
when the shell is invoked with sudo and .ssh is 700 to root?

Cheers
Kal
--
http://www.kalunite.net/
"Engineers are not boring people; we just get excited over boring things."