[FreeNX-kNX] VMware Virtual Appliance based on FreeNX

Daniel Milisic dmilisic at desktopecho.com
Thu Jun 19 18:08:36 UTC 2008

Hello all,

First of all, many thanks to the FreeNX Team and NoMachine for
developing this amazing technology!

This is my vision to make NX accessible for everyone;
take it for a spin and let me know how it works.

The iMKS Virtual Appliance
http://DesktopECHO.com/iMKS

Bullet Points:

- 500MB (7-Zip) VMware Virtual Appliance
- Centos 5.1 Foundation
- FreeNX 0.7.2, and NX 3.2 Libraries, configured/ready on first-run.
  (HughesJr EL5 Packages)
- XFCE 'rootless' operating environment.  GNOME 2.22 and KDE 3
  are also ready to go if you prefer a windowed environemnt.

Instructions:

- Download/Deploy iMKS
- First run will generate new SSH host keys
  and unique FreeNX client.id_dsa.key
- Prompt for root password
- Prompt for user account details
- The connection file (iMKS.nxs and iMKS-ZeroConf.nxs)
  gets generated and put aside for the Clients

iMKS is ready to go!
Now on to the Client:

- If you don't have ZeroConf/Bonjour on your Client, install Bonjour
for Windows
  (Or use iMKS's DHCP IP instead of "iMKS.local")
- Go to http://iMKS.local and follow the link to install
  NX Client for your respective platform.
- Once NX Client is installed, go to http://iMKS.local/private
  (User:imks / Pass:imks)
- Get the connection files and keep them in a safe place.

- If you're using iMKS-ZeroConf.nxs go ahead and open it with
  NX Client - Enter your credentials... Done - You're in!

- iMKS.nxs is also supplied for those without ZeroConf/Bonjour
  (or those planning to use iMKS in the perimeter - Port 443 by default)
  Open iMKS.nxs with NX Client - Enter your credentials and IP/DNS...
Done - You're in!

Thanks for sharing the knowledge, enjoy!
D.