[FreeNX-kNX] Free-NX Performance Issue - state of the art

Alastair Johnson alastair at solutiontrax.com
Fri Feb 22 12:28:52 UTC 2008

On Thursday 21 February 2008, Stefan Bauer wrote:
> Holger Krull schrieb:
> > Stefan Bauer schrieb:
> >> The clients are setup to start the following command: (in the
> >> configuration menu i select UNIX then custom -> run the following
> >> command...)
> >>
> >> ssh -X user at Linux-Server /usr/local/bin/commercial-X-Application
> >
> > Why would you need an additional (and local) ssh connection?
>
> How can i connect directly to the Linux-Server? Or to say it clear,
> how can i start the application at the Linux-Server directly? I only
> want one application get started without window managers or login
> screens.
>
> Note, that the nx-server is not on the same machine as the Linux-Server.
>
> regards

I suspect the bottleneck is your ssh -X. The sheer number of roundtrip calls
made by modern toolkits can make this slow even on a LAN. One of the things
that makes NX fast is its reduction of roundtrip calls, and it helps even on
a LAN. Is there a reason you can't install NX on the Linux-Server? Even if
you can't access the Linux-server directly from the clients you can use the
nx-server as a proxy, giving you an end-to-end NX connection. You should then
be able to use single application mode to deliver the app to the client.

I've never actually tried either proxying or single application mode, but both
have been described on the list. I don't remember anyone using both at the
same time, but it ought to work.