[FreeNX-kNX] Mac client trouble on Leopard?

Phil Shapiro philshap at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 21:14:20 UTC 2008

I've been using nxclient on 10.5 for a while now without any problem, more
or less.

I used the X11 that shipped with 10.5 for a while, and then switched to the
unofficially updated one a bit after (see
http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/xquartz/wiki). There are also
instructions on how to downgrade the 10.5 X11 to 10.4's version, which
didn't use launchd. My understanding is 10.4 was using the old X11 base and
10.5 uses the new x.org base.

Anyway the only problems I have are occasionally nxclient has problems
reconnected to a suspended session. The session comes up and is usable, but
for some reason nxclient thinks that connection has failed and then brings
it down with an error dialog. Trying to connect a few times in a row usually
fixes this. On second thought maybe this is the same problem you're seeing..
although in my case I only seem to get this failure when reconnecting, never
on initial connection.

I use the lastest Mac nxclient to connect over a ssh tunnel to a linux host.
On my server I have freenx-0.7.1.svn416-3.el4.centos and
nx-3.0.0-4.el4.centos.

You may want to play with different Desktop settings.  I seem to recall
having problems with using KDE or GNOME to connect so I use Custom now, with
its default settings.

-phil