[FreeNX-kNX] Wiki, Docs and Homepage

Terje Andersen terander at guard.zapto.org
Sat Aug 2 17:33:08 UTC 2008

   ----- Melding fra FabianFranz at gmx.de ---------
    Dato: Tue, 06 May 2008 15:49:48 +0200
     Fra: Fabian Franz <FabianFranz at gmx.de>
Svar-til: User Support for FreeNX Server and kNX Client <freenx-knx at kde.org>
    Emne: [FreeNX-kNX] Wiki, Docs and Homepage
     Til: User Support for FreeNX Server and kNX Client <freenx-knx at kde.org>

> Hello all,
>
> I got used to berlios, but as their services seem to degrade in
> quality (wiki not writable) and our homepage is not current anyway,
> I give out the following "jobs":
>
> - Website manager:
>
> Your task is to manage the FreeNX website possibly with a CMS in
> background so that changes can be easily done by editors.
>
> - Docs manager:
>
> Your task is to write new docs and look into old docs if they are
> current. It seems tan is doing that quite well already, but he
> might  need help.
>
> It also seems that classic bugtracking via berlios did not work out.
>
> I also would like to change to git for version control with a
> central svn repository as master branch, so we can have several
> branches and I can more easily pull from a tree or get Signed-Off
> patches that I can easily apply or change.
>
> So any ideas where we can move, where we have a SVN, a very basic
> bugtracking tool for reporting bugs with ML interface and a Wiki?
>
> Perhaps we could also use a TRAC for HP and Wiki and Bugs and
> Tickets and leave the rest at berlios for now, while decreasing the
> amount of services used from berlios.
>
> Is anyone willing to setup something like that for like freenx.org?
> (We could point to your IP then ...)
>
> I think I am at a good stage for managing a stable version that is
> changing, but still very stable. Also with RL management of 3 months.
>
> But the overall other things I would like to hear is what you think
> we can do for managing the docs, HP and Wiki part more lively?

   I know I've suggested this in the past, but since then nothing has
happened to all these issues and in the meantime changes have been
made to my proposed hostingplace: launchpad/bazaar from Canonical.

   I'm no developer myself, but I see many positive sideeffects by
moving FreeNX to them - easier colloboration/contribution on
translation, documentation, homepage management, bug reporting, etc.
IMHO.

   I, for one, got more positive than before after reading these two
pages/links:

   http://www.ubuntu.com/news/launchpad2-improves-collaboration

http://blogs.mysql.com/kaj/2008/06/19/version-control-thanks-bitkeeper-welcome-bazaar/

   Hopefully this suits the developer side as well :-)

   Regards,

   Terje