[FreeNX-kNX] nxdesktop and nxviewer, perception, documentation

Terje Andersen terander at guard.zapto.org
Tue Apr 29 23:18:41 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 17:03 -0600, Scott Serr wrote:
> Terje Andersen wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 15:22 -0600, Scott Serr wrote:
> >
> >> I've read that nxdesktop and nxviewer are no longer shipped with NX.  It
> >> was said that the functionality was now in the NX libraries.  How would
> >> you use that functionality?  The nxscripts/run-nxdesktop* and
> >> nxscripts/run-nxviewer* still appear to try to run them.  Is this cruft
> >> that NoMachine has left in?
> >>

> > No, those are _not_ included in the nxlibs. NoMachine previously made a
> > special forked version of those two, but now they rely on the originals.
> > All you have to do, is to install rdesktop and vncviewer, then edit the
> > node.conf and, if necessary, specify where those binaries are.
> >
> Thanks for your reply, I'm anxiously awaiting new documentation.
>
> In the mean time, who should I alert when documentation is wrong even?

This ML.

> For instance, node.conf has references to the NX mailing list...  that
> from what I understand has been closed.  It is things like this that
> cause me to need to rethink everything as I read.

That's just an overlooked address, easy to fix, but I see your point and
now that you have reported it, it will probably get fixed/corrected ;)

> Wiki's are great at being a living document...  that, at read time,
> should be current.

Yes, the wiki used to have many contributors and was relatively current,
but something went wrong - everyone lost write access. Fabian has
notified berlios.de, but hasn't received an answer....

> Thanks for your work...

Thanks for reporting back and sharing your thoughts! :-)

> -Scott

	/Terje