[FreeNX-kNX] NX usage scenario?

Nardmann, Heiko heiko.nardmann at secunet.com
Mon Apr 21 10:18:53 UTC 2008

Hi together!

I wonder whether I can use NX for the following scenario:

Situation: currently I have a pc at work with Linux and X11 on it (call it PC
A). On the other hand for mobile working I have my laptop (PC B).

Now I would like to be able to work with the same KDE session from either PC A
(when I am at work) or from PC B (when I am not at work, e.g. at home).

So far I end my KDE session (started by logging into PC A using KDM) at the
end of the day at work and start a new session when I am at home and want to
check mails (or do other stuff).

What if I do not logout at the end of the day? Is it possible to tell NX to
reuse the already running X11 session? I do not want to start two sessions
since I am not sure about KMails behaviour in such a case.

Do I have to use an NX client at PC A, too, to do that? How do I start this
one? Shall I use the nx user to login or create a new user which has the NX
client set as the login shell and then connect to a new NX session with my
normal user account? I know that I can suspend the NX session.

What is the "right" (easiest) way to fulfill my requirements?

Thanks in advance!

Regards
Heiko Nardmann