[FreeNX-kNX] [RFC] Installation of freenx (server) and a NX client in Debian

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Apr 11 14:46:33 UTC 2008

Dear Stephan,

Am Donnerstag, den 10.04.2008, 19:14 +0200 schrieb Stefan
Lippers-Hollmann:
> On Donnerstag, 10. April 2008, Paul Menzel wrote:

> [...]
> > I tried to update the freenx-page in the Debian Wiki [1]. It would be
> > great if some of you could take a look and correct or improve it.
> [...]
> > [1] http://wiki.debian.org/freenx
>
> I'm sorry to say so, but almost all repositories listed there either don't
> exist (or don't ship NX) anymore, are utterly outdated or are of very
> questionable packaging quality (broken sonames and worse). Likewise most
> suggestions are only valid for sarge or early etch systems, respectively
> NX distributions from that timeframe (the user should not have to add
> compatibility symlinks for modular X).

That is why I inserted a headline “Old wiki page with some solutions for
problems”. But judging from your comments, I will probably delete this
section. What do you think?

> What is the current state for Debian?
> qtnx has been added as FOSS client (under the GPL2) to Debian sid [1] and
> will likely reach lenny in time, the server side is not covered yet [2],
> [3], [4] and is unlikely to be solvable any time soon.

I gave this link for reference [5], but I will add yours tomorrow.

Thanks for your time,

Paul

[5] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-nx-group/2007-July/000171.html