[FreeNX-kNX] [RFC] Installation of freenx (server) and a NX client in Debian

Stefan Lippers-Hollmann s.L-H at gmx.de
Thu Apr 10 17:14:27 UTC 2008

Hi

On Donnerstag, 10. April 2008, Paul Menzel wrote:
> Dear list readers,
[...]
> I tried to update the freenx-page in the Debian Wiki [1]. It would be
> great if some of you could take a look and correct or improve it.
[...]
> [1] http://wiki.debian.org/freenx

I'm sorry to say so, but almost all repositories listed there either don't
exist (or don't ship NX) anymore, are utterly outdated or are of very
questionable packaging quality (broken sonames and worse). Likewise most
suggestions are only valid for sarge or early etch systems, respectively
NX distributions from that timeframe (the user should not have to add
compatibility symlinks for modular X).

What is the current state for Debian?
qtnx has been added as FOSS client (under the GPL2) to Debian sid [1] and
will likely reach lenny in time, the server side is not covered yet [2],
[3], [4] and is unlikely to be solvable any time soon.

Regards
	Stefan Lippers-Hollmann

[1]	http://blog.gwright.org.uk/articles/2008/03/21/qtnx-nxcl-now-packaged-for-debian
[2]	http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-nx-group/2008-March/000213.html