[FreeNX-kNX] Fedora 7 issues

David Frascone dave at frascone.com
Thu Sep 27 11:37:46 UTC 2007

I've had several issues with freenx.  I thought I'd post them here, and
maybe there was an easy solution to them.  I've since then gone back to
nomachine, but I sure would prefer more than two sessions.

First, I got things working by importing /etc/nxserver/client*.key.  I'm
going to look at the fedora howto posted yesterday and see if the ssh keys
approach thingie is better.

So -- problems:

   1. Client version mismatch.  All of the howto's I did find were for
   version 2.1 which I was unable to find.  So, I had to use nxclient
   version 3.0.
   2. Font crashed nxclient server.  I'm not sure why, but my desktop X
   server started crashing all day.  Every few hours, something would crash.  I
   finally looked at the backtrace, and found that it was font related.  This
   *only* happens when displaying freenx 2.1 server sessions with
   nxclient 3.0.  !M's server does not crash the client.
   3. Repaint issues:  sometimes the server screens would need to be
   repainted.  Not a big deal, I just flopped to another desktop and back
   4. Font color:  In my non-desktop session (x-chat & gaim), when
   restoring, all the fonts would be in green.  A repaint wouldn't fix it, but
   If I forced the application to redraw (switch tabs, etc), *some* of the font
   color would go back to normal.

Any ideas on any of these?  The X server crashing is a big deal -- forced me
to move back to !M.

-Dave

--
David Frascone