[FreeNX-kNX] Manually starting a freenx session

Carlos Matos matos4ever at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 11:39:30 UTC 2007

> Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 19:37:36 +0200
> From: "Fabian Franz" <FabianFranz at gmx.de>
> Subject: Re: [FreeNX-kNX] Manually starting a freenx session
> To: User Support for FreeNX Server and kNX Client <freenx-knx at kde.org>
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >> I'm implementing a re-routing application using freenx as the server.
> >> Basically the idea is to have the client connecting to a
> >> server, authenticating there and giving him the parameters for the
> session
> >> it wants, that server will give him back a cookie and an IP:port
> address
> >> of another server in a server farm. This IP:port is discovered by
> >> balancing
> >> the load in the server farm. The server who gets the first connection
> of
> >> the
> >> client ( i call it frontserver ... or frontend server.. ) will create
> the
> >> actual session in the backend server for the client. The client would
> then
> >> only authenticate himself in the backend server with the cookie and
> >> user/pass and restore the session. This is made so that the frontserver
> >> has
> >> all the session administration responsabilities on him.
> >
> >You just explained how loadbalancing currently works in FreeNX.
> >
> >If you disable SSL (on client) or on server, you can even force the
> client to connect directly to the back nodes (using cookie as
> authentication).
> >
> >Else the communciation will be encrypted until frontserver and redirected
> from there to the back nodes.
> >
> >So what exactly in the FreeNX loadbalancing scheme (that you described in
> great detail, without knowing it) do you not like? ;-)
> >
> >It even allows you to hook into your own loadbalancing scheme by
> supplying the right nxcheckload script in $PATH_BIN/ (where nxserver and
> nxnode and so on can be found).
> >
> >cu
> >
> >Fabian

Well... First time i'm trying to reply in this mailing list... hope i did it
right....

Still, Fabian.... I didn't studied completly the way freenx loadbalancing
works but as far as i know, in the case of freenx, the frontserver would
create a tunnel though the connection between the client and the backserver,
isn't that right? That's my idea of what happens and, if true, if many users
are connected the bandwidth available at the frontserver would easily
decline and could create decreased perfomance..

My idea is that the client disconnects from the frontserver and creates a
new connection to the backserver, to restore a session there create by the
frontserver. I'm working with a modified version of the 2X open source
client to accomplished this... that's why i wanted to know how to, by a
means of bash or perl scripts, create a session in the backserver with the
frontserver. If you could help me there, i thank you :)

Carlos Matos