[FreeNX-kNX] /tmp/.X11-unix problems with nx-3.0.0 and freenx-0.7.1

Sat Oct 27 14:38:10 UTC 2007

OK, here is the scenario:

Server in runlevel 3 and rebooted, so it has no /tmp/.X11-unix
directory.  Using either RHEL4, RHEL5, CentOS-4 or CentOS-5.

(as a side note, if X has every been started by a normal user via startx
_OR_ if shifted to run level 5, /tmp/.X11-unix exists)

When connecting to KDE in that scenario, there is no /tmp/.X11-unix
directory and there is a considerable delay in starting KDE.  The file
that is normally in /tmp/.X11-unix for a session (X1000) does not get
created anywhere that I can find and other things in KDE after startup
can sometimes take much longer.

If I manually create the directory /tmp/.X11-unix (owned by root.root
with 1777 permissions) everything works OK when logging in.

If I the owner of the /tmp/.X11-unix is anyone other that root (the
group does not seem important if the perms are 1777) then the directory
is ignored and it is as if it does not exist.

Now to my question.

Should nxnode create /tmp/.X11-unix with owner root and permissions 1777
 if that directory does not exist?  If it should, how would one create
that directory with the owner root?

As stated before, this is only an issue if the server is started in
runlevel 3 (which is at the commandline with no X).

As a temporary work around, I have just added a command to properly
create the directory in /tmp/ on startup in rc.sysinit (just like
ICE-unix) but what I am wondering is where this scenario should
correctly be handled.

When running xinit (startX calls that) the directory /tmp/X11-unix is
properly created, so this is only a problem for (at least for me) when
trying connect to the server with X not running using NX.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes