[FreeNX-kNX] Weird Rootless Mode Behavior

Brent Davidson brent at texascountrytitle.com
Thu Oct 18 19:31:51 UTC 2007

Well, I finally got my new system set up with freenx-0.7.1 and the 3.0.0
backend, but now I've got one final problem that I can't seem to figure
out.  I am trying to run an application in Rootless mode.  The
application was written for Windows but runs perfectly on Linux with a
wine wrapper.  (I might also mention that this setup worked perfectly
with the older freeNX on another server running Centos 4)  I have a
script /bin/startapp that cd's to my programs data directory then calls
wine with the program and it's paramaters.  The program is supposed to
open it's main window with some text and a menu then present a login
box.  If I use the NoMachine client to start a Gnome or KDE session and
run the startapp command from a terminal window, everything works
perfectly.  If I connect with the NoMachine client with a custom session
type set to run that script, the main window and login window both open,
but the main window does not have any text and the login window does not
have any text, password box or OK/Cancel buttons.  If I type my username
and press Enter, I am given a second empty window with the same shape
that is normally given to both the username and password box so I assume
the system is either taking my username and displaying the (empty)
password box or it rejecting the username and re-displaying that box.
If I hit enter a second time, the application closes, which it should
not do in any case other than a blank username being entered.

So what am I missing?  Why won't this work in rootless mode like it did
before?

Thanks,
Brent