[FreeNX-kNX] Release: FreeNX 0.7.1 "Hip Hop Edition"

Terje Andersen terander at guard.zapto.org
Mon Oct 15 23:38:20 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-15 at 01:24 +0200, Fabian Franz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as already announced at the last release FreeNX changed to a 3-month
> schedule in releases and so far this seems to work great.
>
> There have been lots of bugfixes by several people, so despite the short
> time of only 3 months this release really is worth it.

Congratulations to you and all the bugfix/patch-writers! :-)

Will try this as soon as I can, but not on my primary server - my
session are going for over 90 days now (without a hitch!), suspending
and resuming several times a day, both from Linux and Windows.... :p
(anyone better? :D)

> It is called Hip Hop edition, because a formation from my dance school
> just reached 2x second place in the IDO World HipHop-Championship 2007.
>
> I needed a name and this event was still on my mind, so I called it like
> that ;-).
>
> Highlights of the release are the experimental 3.0.0 support and the
> fallback to native rdesktop/vncviewer if nxdesktop/nxviewer are not
> available. (Note to packagers: FreeNX still depends on nxpasswd if
> vncpasswd is not installed, but you can ship the same as from 2.1.0)
>
> This also finally solves the keyboard issues as it works with native
> rdesktop. If you need to use this option with a 2.x backend you can just
> rename nxdesktop to for example nxdesktop.old.

ahh! great work! :)

> Also new is a "kind of" shadowing technology, which uses plain VNC, but
> starts x11vnc on the fly. This new technique can be used by starting a new
> VNC type session and "resuming" one of the (vnc mirrored) sessions.

This will be interesting to test.

> Important for users of the file-sharing technology is the ability to use
> CIFS as smbmount is no longer shipped with most distributions.

Great! :)

> Not so important, but removal of one of the "top" mailing list questions
> is the rename of nxclient to nxdialog and you could be interested in the
> new "dialog+xterm" interface for systems that have dialog+xterm, but not
> xdialog.

hehe, finally rid of those misunderstandings :-)

> And last but not least the ENABLE_CLIPBOARD option is now also available
> also in FreeNX.

Good thing!

This brings one thing to my mind, a long time ago, I suggested to implement
some kind of policy settings like in Windows and Citrix, to help ease the
administration of groups who then would be allowed/disallowed things based
on the group memberships.

Is this something that would be possible to rethink for the ReDesigned
version?
(if use-cases are needed, I can come with some (or, if needed, many.... :P)

<snip>

> Enjoy and download from:

Sure will :)

/Terje