[FreeNX-kNX] Obtaining the X Windows ID of the NX window

Seb James seb at esfnet.co.uk
Wed Oct 3 13:35:18 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-29 at 22:19 +0100, George Wright wrote:

> > > Don't like it.
> > >
> > > Better use a NX 728> X Window ID:2341, but I don't know if its already
> > > available at that moment.
> >
> > Fine - I actually put 999 in there to say "some number which would make
> > sense within the NX numbering scheme".
>
> Is there any reason why this should be X Windows specific? Ideally we'd want a
> cross-platform Window ID to be reported back, unless there's no possible use
> case for the Window ID on !X11.

I don't see why it shouldn't be just "Window ID" to be interpreted in
the most suitable way for the OS, whether or not the client is running
X, Windows, a pure framebuffer, or whatever.

However, the nxagent is always running on the NX server machine, which
currently has to be X. I think that whatever the client is running on,
the nxagent will think that it is creating an X window and will have an
internal variable holding that X window ID.

I don't know how NoMachine's Windows client works - does it run up a
pseudo X server in Windows?

Anyway - I've not heard anything back from NoMachine about making
changes to nxagent yet.

Seb