[FreeNX-kNX] Can not start cups server

Michael Bushveld at gmx.de
Thu Nov 15 20:53:55 UTC 2007

server" send  Thursday 15 November 2007 (14:08):

Hello Fabian,

thanks for the tips it works, just some questions left:

> > ov 15 11:46:40 akazia cupsd: Unable to open log
> > file "/var/log/cups/access_log" - Permission denied
> > Nov 15 11:47:13 akazia cupsd: Unable to open log
> > file "/var/log/cups/page_log" - Permission denied
>
> You could add AccessLog and PageLog directives to the wrapper script
> if you want to fix that.

I assume I need to copy this line:
echo "StateDir $NX_ROOT/cups/certs" >> $NX_ROOT/cups/cupsd.conf
but I am unsure about the correct replacements - do you know them ?

> > And on the remote System (version 3.0.0 on a SuSE 9.2) a message
> > pops up which tells me:
> >
> > The printer 'laserjet' coundn't be attached Error
> > is '1' /usr/NX/scripts/restricted/nxprinteradd.sh line 105 grep
> > command not found lpadmin: add-printer (set model) failded.
> > server-error-internal-error
> > 'Error Tha cups printer coundn't be added to the system.
> >
> > Do you have an idea what the cause could be?
>
> Yes, there seems to be an error in the script. However the 2.1.0
> script does not use grep to find the lpadmin binary.
The grep checks for CONFIG_FILE_VERSION in node.cfg but there is only
ConfigFileVersion = "2.0" in node.cfg so this fails. Then the script
evaluates the returncode I am not sure what following lines do:

grep CONFIG_FILE_VERSION $CONFIG_FILE > /dev/null

if [ $? -eq 0 ]
then
  tmp=`/usr/bin/awk -F'"' '/^CUPS_SBIN/ {print $2}' $CONFIG_FILE`
else
  tmp=`/usr/bin/awk -F'"' '/^CUPSSbin/ {print $2}' $CONFIG_FILE`
fi

if [ "x$tmp" != "x" ];
then
  LPADMIN="$tmp/lpadmin"
else
  echo "CUPS support not configured correctly" && exit 1
fi

Guess $? is not 0, the second if seams to evaluate to lpadmin ?

Does the above mentioned error message:" line 105 grep
command not found lpadmin: add-printer (set model) failded." Mean that
lpadmin is not available. Sorry can't check remote machine is powered
off.

How ever at the final I _have_ a printer and I can print even with these
errors.

> > Is there a chance to set up a fixed printer name in the remote
> > system?
I have always three printers in the remote system added
USER_laserjet1200_1017
USER_laserjet1200_1022
USER_laserjet1200_1026
will these Displays be constant = will the printernames not change?

Thanks a lot
Michael

local Timestamp: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 21:41:22 +0100