[FreeNX-kNX] Using nxclient instead of xdm

Holger Krull holger.krull at gmx.de
Wed Nov 14 14:26:49 UTC 2007

Dennis Heltzel schrieb:
> Has anyone tried to use freenx as a replacement for the normal X
> utilities, specifically, as a login chooser in palce of xdm (or kdm, gdm,
> etc)?

I can see no way how this could work.

> I'd like to start just nxclient instead of a full desktop and let the
> desktop and apps run inside the NX session.

If you don't want a local X11 Server then tell xdm not to start one. If you don't want to login without using nx, don't start xdm (or whatever you use). nx doesn't need it.

> This would let me use my main
> desktop remotely without the overhead of the "backing" desktop, which
> would not be running anything but nxclient anyway.

The 'backing' desktop is created by nxproxy if i understood that right. It has nothing to do with a already running X11 Server started by xdm.