[FreeNX-kNX] black screen after authentication

Alastair Johnson alastair at solutiontrax.com
Wed Nov 14 12:23:42 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 14 November 2007, Michael Oevermann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am having problems getting freenx running in CentOS 4.5  i386_64. I know
> this is not a new problem, however, I havn't found a solution in all the
> postings I found on the web. I did exactly what is supposed to work and
> described in detail at
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/FreeNX
> After doing a standard install I can connect to the server with nxclient
> without problem but I get only a window with a black screen. In the files
> .nx/S.../session  and errors
> I see the warning
> 	Warning: Unrecognized session type 'unix-gnome'. Assuming agent session.
> The same happens with KDE. With the command
> 	nxloadconfig --check
> I get the output
>
> Warning: Could not find nxdesktop in /usr/bin. RDP sessions won't work.
> Warning: Could not find nxviewer in /usr/bin. VNC sessions won't work.
> Warning: Invalid value
> "APPLICATION_LIBRARY_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libX11.so.6.2:/usr/lib/libXext.so.6.4
>:/usr/lib/libXcomp.so.2:/usr/lib/libXcompext.so:/usr/lib/libXrender.so.1.2".
> /usr/lib/libX11.so.6.2 could not be found. Users will not be able to run a
> single application in non-rootless mode.
> Warning: Invalid value
> "COMMAND_FOOMATIC=/usr/lib/cups/driver/foomatic-ppdfile" Users will not be
> able to use foomatic.
> Warning: "/usr/lib/cups/backend/nxipp" is not executable.
>          Users will not be able to enable printing.
> Warning: "/usr/lib/cups/backend/smb" is not executable.
>          Users will not be able to enable printing.
> Warning: Invalid value "COMMAND_START_CDE=cdwm"
>          Users will not be able to request a CDE session.
> Warning: Invalid cupsd version of "/usr/sbin/cupsd". Need version 1.2.
>          Users will not be able to enable printing.
> Error: Could not find 1.5.0 or 2.[01].0 or 3.0.0 version string in
> nxagent. NX 1.5.0 or 2.[01].0 or 3.0.0 backend is needed for this
> version of FreeNX.
>   Errors occured during config check.
>   Please correct the configuration file.
>
> The libraries are definitely not where nx looks for them - they are
> located under /usr/lib64/NX/lib (and symlinks under (usr/lib/NX/lib).
> What is going wrong here? I also tried to use nxconfig with
> --setup-nomachine-key with the same error messages and warnings as in the
> log files
>
> Does anyone has an idea to solve the problem? If its only a path problem to
> the libs, where are the configuration files and which variables do I need
> to set? Is a simple nxconfig with "corrected" settings enough to set up the
> server correctly?

You should be able to update the config in /etc/nxserver/node.conf with the
correct values. The defaults are in nxloadconfig wherever that is on your
system. The Fedora packages have the defaults modified to reflect the
Fedora-style locations.

You don't mention any versions, so you may also run into a 64bit issue. 64bit
support only appeared properly in nx 3.0.0. Later 2.1.0 binaries for Fedora
(and maybe others?) included a patch for 64 bit, but this wasn't reliable. It
would work fine on some systems and fail on others.