[FreeNX-kNX] Problems getting RDP to work.

Iain Paton nx at darkvoyage.org.uk
Tue Nov 13 20:39:08 UTC 2007

Stephen Kent wrote:
> I tried connecting to my W2K3 server and still got 256 colors.  It
> has to be something in my nxserver configuration.
>
> I added the -a flag to the line you suggested to no avail.

Yep, seems that there's more to it.

Can you try setting the debug options in node.conf:

NX_LOG_LEVEL=6
#nx user has to be able to write to this file
NX_LOGFILE=/tmp/nxserver.log
SESSION_LOG_CLEAN=0

then start a rdp session and go find the session log on the linux
server. It should be something like
~/.nx/C-hostname-1000-8DACE8E59D800C99E74B14A3D6994518
in that directory you'll find a file called session have a look at what
it contains.

I get something like this:

NXAGENT - Version 3.0.0

Copyright (C) 2001, 2007 NoMachine.
See http://www.nomachine.com/ for more information.

Info: Agent running with pid '2198'.
Session: Starting session at 'Tue Nov 13 19:58:47 2007'.
Loop: WARNING! Ignoring unknown option 'rdpcolors' with value '16M'.
Warning: Ignoring unknown option 'rdpcolors' with value '16M'.
Loop: WARNING! Ignoring unknown option 'rdpcache' with value '1'.
Warning: Ignoring unknown option 'rdpcache' with value '1'.
Info: Proxy running in server mode with pid '2198'.
Info: Waiting for connection from '127.0.0.1' on port '5000'.
Info: Accepted connection from '127.0.0.1'.
Info: Connection with remote proxy completed.
Info: Using ADSL link parameters 512/24/1/0.
Info: Using agent parameters 5000/10/10/0/0.
Info: Using cache parameters 4/4096KB/16384KB/16384KB.
Info: Using pack method 'none' with session 'unix-desktop'.
Info: Using ZLIB data compression 1/1/32.
Info: Using ZLIB stream compression 4/4.
Info: Using cache file
'/root/.nx/cache-unix-desktop/C-773D77A19A59CE40B80A648B43A85795'.
Info: Listening to X11 connections on display ':1000'.
Info: Established X client connection.
Info: Using shared memory parameters 1/1/1/4096K.
Info: Using alpha channel in render extension.
Info: Not using local device configuration changes.
nxagentRedirectDefaultWindows: WARNING! Redirecting default window id
[67108960] to off-screen memory.
Session: Session started at 'Tue Nov 13 19:58:59 2007'.
WARNING: Remote desktop does not support colour depth 24; falling back to 16

the value against the 'rdpcolors' line changes depending on what I set
in the client, so we know that value is getting passed along somehow.

The last line seems to be the interesting part though. As far as I can
tell something is passing along the depth of my clients screen - 24bit
and that's overriding the depth I set in the client. Then something in
the remote desktop side is rejecting the 24bit setting and causing the
drop to 16 bit.  Maybe the log on your system will give you a clue to
what's happening ?

after a bit more investigation, it's rdesktop that returns that last line..

The man page for rdesktop has this to say:

-a <bpp>

Sets the colour depth for the connection (8, 15, 16 or 24).  More than 8
bpp are only supported when connecting to Windows XP (up to 16 bpp) or
newer.  Note that the colour depth may also be limited by the server
configuration. The default value is the depth of the root window.

I can't get anything above 16bit to work here to XP or W2K3 systems.
Maybe vista would allow 24bit ?

When you're connecting to an rdp system via NX, it has to be rendering
the rdesktop window to some sort of virtual X screen provided by
nxagent.. I wonder if somehow on your system it thinks that virtual
screen is limited to 8bit depth and hence you're not able to get
anything more.
Anyway, right now I can't see where that would be configured. What we
need is the output of xdpyinfo in the nxagent session that's running
rdesktop, but I have no idea how to do that :(

Iain