[FreeNX-kNX] Can not start cups server

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Mon Nov 12 14:00:48 UTC 2007

> Hi Michael,
>
> I am not completely positive about this, but this is what I have
> learnt. CUPS 1.2 removed a feature called usermode cupsd daemon and I
> think that is what is causing this.

No, they never removed that feature. They removed something else, but that is not relevant for us.

> I had the same issue. But after I moved NXClient to a SuSE-10.0 system
> with CUPS 1.1, this started working without problems. I am still
> investigating this to see if there is some other reason for this.

Ah, this is your workaround. ;-)

cu

Fabian

You can as well try me wrapper script, which should enable CUPS1.2 usage:

http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/freenx/nx-utils/nxcupsd-wrapper/

Copy nxcupsd-warpper to for example ~.

$ chmod a+x ~/nxcupsd-wrapper

Change the path /usr/sbin/cupsd in NXClient 4th tab to /home/<your user>/nxcupsd-wrapper.

- Connect and see what you get.

You can find more information also about the error in /home/<youruser>/.nx/cups/error_log.

cu

Fabian